The postgraduate Department of Bioinformatics was instituted in 2002. From 2005-2010 the programme was supported by the Innovative Programme of the UGC, and this enabled the Department to improve its infrastructure and engage in innovative methods of teaching and research. The Master’s degree in Bioinformatics offers a strong multi-disciplinary acquaintance to develop computational methods that integrate technologies from science, statistics, and chemistry to handle and process biological data.
The Department has a well-established computer lab with a high-end server and computers with a 24x7 internet facility. Under the DST-FIST Grant-2017, the Department has procured the Schrodinger software, an inclusive platform to address the challenges in pharmaceutical research and to cater to the needs of teaching, research and industrial applications.
The Summer Internship is an integral part of the course at the end of the first year. Students intern in reputed institutions all over the country such as IGIB, RGCB, IBAB, NCBS and IISc. They are involved in the live projects of these Institutes and acquire hands-on experience in handling commercial software, as well as training in work ethics.
The Department organises International and National seminars, workshops and conferences on multitude areas of Computational Biology with the invited resource persons from reputed institutes across the country.
Adding to the accolades, our students have been selected for MS in Genomics at the University at Buffalo, University of Manchester, Leicester University, University of Cardiff, and Ph.D. in Environmental Bioinformatics, at Taichung University, Taiwan. Students have been placed in various industries like Fabgenics, CIBA-ICAR, Kyvor Genomics, Blackbuck Technologies and many more.
- Biomolecules and Biochemistry
- Essentials of Bioinformatics
- Programming in C++ and Perl
- Database Management Systems
- Molecular Biology
- Molecular Biology - Practicals
- Molecular Biology
- Molecular Biology-Practical
- Genomics and Proteomics
- Research Methodology
- Soft Skills
- Python and R Programming
- Python and R Programming-Practical
- Algorithms for Bioinformatics
- Molecular Modeling and Computer Aided Drug Design
- Molecular Modeling and Computer Aided Drug Design-Practical
- Advances in Bioinformatics
- Big Data Analysis
- Advances in Bioinformatics-Practical
Elective Courses offered to the parent Department
- Cell Biology and Genetics
- Biomathematics and Biostatistics
- Data Mining
- Basics of Clinical Research Management
Elective Courses offered to other Department
- Introduction to Bioinformatics
- Applications of Bioinformatics
- Computer Aided Drug Design
Independent Elective Courses
- Systems Biology