This browser is outdated and does not support this website.

Please use any latest browser.


  • When will I get the application form?

    You will find the Application form from 8 April 2019 and only online.

    Online Application Form
  • Where do I have to submit the completed Application form?

    You must submit the completed Application form only ONLINE.

  • What is the Application Procedure?

    Please see Admissions 2019 Important Information, under Announcements. Detailed instructions will also be given on the online application form.

  • What documents do I need to bring if called for an interview?

    If you are called for an interview, you should bring all original certificates (X, XII, Transfer certificate, community certificate,blood group certificate, and Baptism Certificate for Catholic students) with two sets of attested photocopies of all the documents. Further details of documents to be submitted will be provided in the Instructions along with the application form on 8 April 2019.

  • How will I know if I’m called for an interview?

    You will receive an SMS informing you of the date and time of the interview. An e-mail “call letter” will also be sent.

  • When will I know if I have been selected for admission to the programme of my choice?

    You will have to check the list of provisionally admitted applicants which will be uploaded on the College website by 8:00 p.m. on the day of the interview and on the College notice board the following working day.

  • When do I have to pay the fees?

    You must pay the fees on the dates indicated at the time of interview.

  • Can CBSE students apply for business studies?

    CBSE students can select Business Studies which is equivalent to Commerce in State Board.

  • What is the procedure for admission to II or III year programme?

    Applicants interested in joining the II year of the UG programme should call 044-28110121 or email

  • Is it mandatory to take a language? If so what are the languages offered?

    Yes, it is mandatory to take a language. The languages offered are : French, Hindi, Sanskrit and Tamil, for Shifts I & II, except B.VOC for which only Tamil and French will be offered.

  • Can students from other boards, other than Tamil Nadu HSE, CBSE and ICSC apply?

    All students who have passed the Plus Two Examination or its equivalent are eligible to apply. If your board is other than that of the Tamil Nadu HSE, CBSE and ICSC, you should obtain an eligibility certificate from the University of Madras.

  • Can O level & A level students apply for programmes?

    If these are the equivalents of the Plus Two Examinations of the Tamil Nadu Government HSC/CBSE/ICSC, you may apply. However, you will need to obtain an Equivalence Certificate from the University of Madras.

  • When does the application period close each year?

    Applications will be accepted until ten days after the publication of examination results.

  • How many students does SMC take in per year?

    Around 1000 students each academic year.

  • What are the programmes offered and what are the eligibility criteria for each programme?

    Refer:  Programmes Offered

  • What hostel facilities are available?

    Refer:  Hostel Facilities

  • Does admission into a programme guarantee hostel accommodation?

    Admission into a programme does not guarantee hostel accommodation.

  • Is acceptance into SMC based on merit/ on an entrance exam?

    Candidates are selected purely on merit and according to the government reservation policy. Fifty percent of the seats are reserved for the minority Catholic community. B.V.A. has an entrance test which will be practical (drawing and/or designing) and this will be followed by an interview. An entrance test is administered for B.A. English and all postgraduate programmes.

  • Are scholarships offered? How can I apply for one?

    Government, private and management scholarships are available. You will be directed to the right authority once you are enrolled.

  • What is the difference between aided and self-financing programmes?

    Aided programmes are those supported by the government by way of fee subsidies. Self-financing programmes are those where a higher fee structure exists as these are not supported by the government.

  • Can I apply for more than one programme?

    You may apply for more than one programme using the appropriate application form and paying the required application fee.

  • When do classes start?

    Classes usually start around the beginning of the third week of June for all new students.